Monday, September 1, 2014

Neo Baroque?

To get a better understanding of whether or not we're in a new Baroque era now, it's important to understand the old Baroque era. Baroque came out of a need for the Catholic Church to control their existing followers and to gain more. It was a war for pawns against the Protestant Church, which was emerging at the time. The idea was that the flashier the church, the smaller the person will feel. I think this very much applies to today's time, given the increasing wealth gap and this "I've got it all" mentality. It's present even amongst our friends. On Facebook, we tend to only talk about the good things happening to us. It gives others the idea that our lives are just peachy."Look up to me. I've got my life put together. How about you?" In music videos it's about pussy, money, weed. "I've got it all. I live a luxurious life. I own you." It's a facade. Humans are all about making each other jealous over materialistic wealth. We think we can gain respect this way. The Church did, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment